Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So Im ready for fall. Im coming to the realization that I might be a polar bear or something cold natured. But fall will be a different one this year for me. Every fall Ive been somewhere where you experience all four seasons pretty distinctly, but Im not sure that will be the case here with the winter season. Im going to miss Knoxville's fall to be honest, not so much because its beautiful there, and it is, but I think more because of the things I associate with fall now are downtown Knoxville, disc golf with Bill, Worlds Fair Park, starbucks with friends, UT football games, dates to McKays (which I miss greatly) and just about anything else Knoxville.

But Im looking forward to this new transition of our life. Court and I can experience fall in a new light, from a new spectrum.

So I was just sitting around last night with Court and we were talking and I began to think about Crossings, which is a church plant we used to help out with in Knoxville. I miss that family but I got to thinking about the people that I missed there and I thought of what Rich Mullins said, "When I go to church,. . .I involve myself in something that identifies me with Augustine, that identifies me with Christ, that identifies me with nearly 2000 years of people who have come together once a week and said, 'Lets go to the Lord's table and enjoy the feast that He has prepared for us."

I get to worship every week with Crossings, not physically there, but we still worship the same God, so in that light, I do worship with you guys. When we take communion, when we sing praises, when we heard the Word being preached, we involve ourselves in something bigger than ourselves, we involve ourselves in bigger purposes, together, something that happened long before we were here and will continue to happen long after we're gone, the worship, purpose and praise of God. We together get to go to the "Lord's table and enjoy the feast that He has prepared." Wherever we are, we do that and it identifies with each other, for bigger purposes.

Its crazy when you step back and see the bigger picture and see that as C.S. Lewis said, "The Church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ, to make them little Christs. If they are not doing that, all the cathedrals, clergy, missions, sermons, even the Bible itself, are simply a waste of time. God became Man for no other purpose. It is even doubtful, you know, whether the whole universe was created for any other purpose."

We as human beings are to draw man into Christ.

4 comments:

bill said...

good words man.

and for what its worth, we miss you and court too. its funny, just this week i had a conversation with dustin about he misses the early morning rides with you to the theater. then, as i was uploading pictures onto flickr...i ran across one of you playing the djembe at launch community (it will be on the website soon enough).

anyhoo...are you planning coming back to visit this fall?

Betsy said...

hiiiooo, check out crossings site under photos! You made a real strong showing on there :)

Anonymous said...

As always, I appriciate your words, Tim. Remembering of what the Lord's Table connects us to is humbling and it makes everything about that table a little bit sweeter to me. I can't want to go tomorrow and share the Common Meal with you - from miles away.

Anonymous said...

As always, I appriciate your words, Tim. Remembering of what the Lord's Table connects us to is humbling and it makes everything about that table a little bit sweeter to me. I can't want to go tomorrow and share the Common Meal with you - from miles away.