Tuesday, May 06, 2008

that old radio

I was sitting out on our deck the other night. It was the perfect night. Beautiful, clear sky, a little chilly, but not too bad. I was in a chair next to my wife, she was sitting there with her hair just right, drinking a glass of red wine, just sitting there looking beautiful, not saying anything. I was drinking a beer and smoking my pipe. We were just sitting there, had our tiki torches lit, Norah Jones on the cd player. It was perfect. I can't wait to just grow old and can't wait for all the nights my wife and I will sit on the back deck and drink some wine, smoke a pipe and listen to good music.

It also caused me to miss those nights where a good friend and I would sit on his deck, smoke our pipes, play yahtzee or dominoes or just sit and have a conversation that I would soak up like a sponge. I couldn't get enough of those conversations, even though we didn't do it as much as I would have liked. But I miss those and hope those will happen one day, maybe with our kids running crazy, us on the back deck with our wives and our pipes.

"I want an old radio, everything else can go and on summer nights, we can dance together slow"

1 comment:

bill said...

i miss those nights too. and, i look forward to doing again. who knows...