Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What Are We Doing?

I feel like we've missed it. When I say we, I mean the church. The American Church. I feel like the people in church today just dont get it. Church and being a part of the church today means going on Sunday and maybe even being a part of a small group or bible study, whatever you want to call it, maybe even being a part of a community service project, maybe even being an elder or deacon and then having your own life at home. I am learning more and more that everything, everything we do is spiritual and there is not a seperation between the "secular" and the "spiritual" or "religious". There is no such thing and it breaks my heart to see churches today and even individuals, including myself at times, miss the point, miss what its all about.

Ive been thinking alot about what and where to go as far as ministry goes and to be honest, I feel completely lost on where God is leading me. But I do know that I want to create an enviroment and be a part of people that really get it, that its abour relationships, its about community, its about love, its about caring for each other. I want to be apart of a church and community that gets back to the simple truth of it being all about Jesus and coming back to Jesus. I want to be a part of a church and community that lives the gospel, speaks the gospel, eats and drinks and breaths the gospel. I want to be around people that know that this life, this christian life is not simply a game, its not something that we do three days a week, its not even about doing good things, its about Jesus and the redemption that He offers us. I think Mark Driscoll says it best when he said that "God's mission is not to create a team of moral and decent people but rather create a movement of holy loving missionaires who are comfortable and truthful around lost sinners and who, in this way, look more like Jesus".

I dont want to be known for something he does or doesnt do, but rather I want to be known for something that I am.

1 comment:

Clinton said...

Two things you might want to check out:
1. Claiborne's book
2. Dr. King's words from jail